Monday, April 23, 2007

Sleep

Today was a hard day. I won't go into it because it may make my friends without children, think twice about joining me in the world of parenting and I can't have that.

But, I wanted to post today because I was talking to a friend who said she can tell I have two kids due to my lack of posts. That is absolutely true. Any extra time I have is now solely devoted to sleeping. I was never like this before. I never hit the snooze button on my alarm clock, I mean what is the point of putting off the inevitable? I have to get up either now or in 13 minutes and what will that extra thirteen minutes of sleep really get me. I only wanted to sleep when I knew I could enjoy it. For example at night or late evening. I typically am in bed these days by 9:00. This is a double edged sword because Nora's bed time is 8:00 and if I want any time sans children this is it. But I desire sleep more. More than even tv. More than TV? how did I get here!!! Anyway, this morning I fed Benjamin at 5:36am finished at about 6:00 and returned to bed. Did I mention that Nora came in my room at about 5:00am to inform me that she was ready to go upstairs and have her vitamin and two spoonfuls of peanut butter. Outraged I told her NO, it's dark, I am still sleeping and you need to go back to your room and either get back in bed or play QUIETLY until I say so. When I returned to bed at 6ish she was still playing in her room (though she had come upstairs twice during the feeding) I knew that Alec would leave for work at a little before 7:00 so I was hoping for just an extra few minutes. They aren't quality minutes just minutes of defiance: I choose when I get up out of bed, not a three-year old and certainly not a 3-month old. Those minutes lasted far less than a snooze button.

No comments: