Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Waiting Game


Ornament
Originally uploaded by jegoffin.
One of the last great mysteries in the world is that no one knows what makes a woman go into labor. And, seeing as how I never went into labor on my own last time, my body is also somewhat foreign to the idea. In other words, you can be ready physically (and especially mentaly) to go into labor and for some unknown reason, you don't. Towards the beginning of my pregnancy I kept telling myself that the due date was immaterial and that truely I shouldn't expect to see this baby on the outside until New Year's (or after) I sort of tricked myself into believing that maybe it would be last week or this week. I mean don't I deserve to have a smaller baby, earlier? I think so. Additionally, I am quite large and I am not sure that I can physically get much bigger. But, again and again kids teach you the lesson you least want to learn, mine being patience. So, here comes lesson #572.

Vic and Faye are using this time to finish little projects around our house. Two weekends ago it was tiling the backsplash in the kitchen. It looks great and it motivated Alec to finish hanging the last cupboard and also finish the floor detail around the raised refridge. But it took an entire weekend and then some. Our house is small and there is really nowhere to go other than the great room or a bedroom. Last weekend, it was the bathroom doors that lead from each bathroom to the closet. They are glass and consequently don't provide quite the level of privacy our guests require. The plan was to frost the glass. Faye tried a spray on frosting that didn't work so know we are trying to figure out a way around the $150 price tag of having it prefessionally done. In the meantime, Faye has started painting the door trim for said doors, it will look great, but wasn't on my list of "things that absolutely need to get done before the baby is born" so I am feeling a little like my birth space is being invaded. If I go into labor any day now (which I have already established is unlikely) and there is clutter everywhere I know it will be a problem. So, I am hoping all these little projects get wrapped up b the weekend and then there will be no more until at least 2007.

We are really looking forward to Christmas with Nora this year. She has been so excited about everything so far. She asked Santa for Bambi, the movie. She loves it. We got it from Netflix several months ago and when we mailed it back she cried. We kept telling her to ask Santa for it and she hasn't forgotten. I'm glad she likes Bambi versus say Dora the Explorer. I watched one video of Dora and I swear lost several brian cells.

True to form, Alec and I treated ourselves to a very nice gift a la Santa. But we did wrap it up and put it under the tree just to be fun about it all!

1 comment:

JoBiv said...

Ooh, is the self-gift a commercial-grade milk dispenser? That's what I'd get you if I were Santa.


Hoping and waiting for that healthy birth...