Tuesday, April 04, 2006

This is how the shitty day ended


Balcony from our hotel room
Originally uploaded by jegoffin.
We went to San Diego and stayed at a nice hotel. This is the balcony and Nora loved it. So did Alec and I. We had a slendid little time.

Friday
Arrive at 6:30 PM (traffic in LA sucks)
Walk the Gaslamp district and have dinner at a nice litte Indian restaurant
Fall asleep in the king bed at about 9:30

Saturday
Nora wakes up at 4 am, we put her in our bed where we all fitfully sleep for about 2 hours
Coffee and warm milk
Walk to a great cafe called Cafe 222 So good we swear we'll be back the next day, eventhough I really wanted to get expensive room service.
Head to the San Diego Zoo, here after know to me as "the best zoo in the whole entire world"
Nora sleeps for about an hour in her stroller, during which we see her favorite animal, giraffes. She wake up somewhere around the polar bears, which are incidentally my favorite, along with the ducklings.
We see the pandas, a tiger taking a shit, and ride the "skyfari"
Leave the park at around 4pm stopping to get Jack in the Box and a Jamba juice for the little one.
Back at the hotel we lay around watching punk'd for an hour and a half and then drag ourselves out of bed to find a West Elm store.
End up at the Container Store, also know as heaven. Eventually we find West Elm, attempt to buy stuff, they are out. We head back to the hotel, get some dinner from the restaurant in the lobby and lay in bed until Nora falls asleep (9:30)

Sunday
Up at 7:00 (really 6:00) and get ready to go to Cafe 222, where I curse the fact that I can't stay here a week to try every thing on the menu.
Back to the hotel to swim in the pool. So fun. I swear I will start swimming laps at the University pool.
Shower, change, and check out.
Go to Ikea, 10 minutes before we get there Nora falls asleep so I go solo.
Then we drive home (LA traffic sucks)

It might not sound like it was all that fun, but it really, really was. I never had weekend getaways when I was little so this was as much for me as for Nora. One of the best things about having kids is you can recapture some of the things you missed when you were little. Seeing the excitement and joy on there face IS to experience that same excitement and joy.
In the end the shitty days are outnumbered by these sorts of days. I hope.

1 comment:

meeralee said...

I’m glad you ended up having a wonderful weekend, dear – she really is too cute to kill, isn’t she? Thank goodness for evolutionary pressures. And thank you for the deliciously photographic science magazines! I was so puzzled to see the UCSB Physics of Science mailing label on the envelope, and so pleased to discover the contents. They’ll keep me happy on many a rainy April day.