Monday, October 31, 2005

Fuck Daylight Savings

I am not a nice person before six am. I suppose it could be argued that I am not much of a nice person after six either. But, trust me when I say that I am unbearable before six. I think it goes back to my high school days when I worked at the pool. Everyone had to do an early bird shift once a week. The pool opened at 5:30am and there needed to be two lifeguards on duty. My personal belief is that if you want to swim laps at 5:30 in the morning you should be willing to drown. Especially, if it is January and 12 degrees. My entire week was built around the dread that my one shift per week generated. The entire night before I would be lamenting my fate. Need to open the doors at 5:30? I'd leave the house at 5:28, leave my bed at 5:27:30 and scrape the windshield at 5:29. Back in those days I welcomed FallBack, because it meant a slight reprieve from the Early Bird. But toddlers don't seem to understand the benefit of gaining an extra hour in the morning. Nora awoke at five fucking am and I just ignored her. Sure, I wasn't getting any sleep, but at least I wasn't giving in to her. At around 5:30, I finally relented and got up to make her a bottle and ask Alec if he intended to share in the wealth of an extra hour of Nora. While I slammed through the kitchen swearing and preparing her bottle, Alec went into her room. Surprise, she had reached into her shitty diaper and surprise wiped it all over her crib, sheet, blanket, and self. Fucking sweet.

1 comment:

Eunice Burns said...

Oh my. The title of this post made me laugh, but I was whimpering by the end picturing your sweet daughter pulling shit out of her diaper...

It's been too long since we've spoken. Have you quit that inconvenient job of yours yet??