Sunday, July 31, 2005

Old photo New comment


NOT getting her way
Originally uploaded by jegoffin.
So, this is the "most viewed" photos on my flickr photostream. I find this interesting. But, I thought I would update everyone on Nora's evolution from this photo to the present in terms of behavior when someone uses the N word. In this picture, clearly, she is in the mode of "pity party". Shortly after this stage she moved onto the "inflicting pain on the user of the word" stage. This included (but was not limited to) biting, pinching, hitting, and headbutting. After a particularly stinging pinch I told her very sternly no and then proceed to tell her how much that had hurt. She appeared sympathetic and even made the frowny, crying face with tears. For the most part she has curbed her outburst againt others. It gave way to the "self hurting" stage. Which I have to admit, as a parent, is more disturbing that her hitting me. When she hears No she either hits herself in the face or pulls her hair. Though the pediatrician says it is good for her to hit herself, I can't help but think of Rainman. I mean, HELLO doesn't that hurt! I know it hurts actually because you've done it to me. Recently, she has started to transition away from the self-inflicted variety of frustration and into inatimate objects, like what ever it is she is told no about. ie my computer. or her doll. I'm not sure this is progress.

1 comment:

JoBiv said...

Oh, it's progress. I HATE the hitting-self phase.

Also, your haircut is effin' gorge-o! So hot!