Saturday, May 21, 2005

Schlans

We are still in Schlans, but today we went on a short walk to the Swiss Grand Canyon. It was a nice walk and we had a great time. The weather has been really good so far, sunny and warm. The way people drive around here makes Boston drivers look like Sunday drivers. It is harrowing and I really mean that. I thought I was a bit of a reckless driver, but I have nothing and I mean nothing on these people. And they all seem to be in some kind of agreement. Like, "Yeah, we're likely going to die up around this curve but oh well." I was pretty sick to my stomach after the 30 minute car ride.
We are all on local time now. I still can't believe how well Nora is adjusting to the time change and the travelling.
We'll be heading to Bern on Monday. We are staying at a youth hostel (I thought those days were over) with a private room and shared bath and kitchen and common area. I think it will work out really well because we do NOT want to spend all our time in the same room as Nora. She's great and all, but once she is asleep the real living begins...
We'll use Bern as a base to visit all kinds of other places such as Luzern, Interlaken, and others that are within an hour. We plan to spend five nights there and then move onto Lausanne and stay with Alec's godmother. Then on the 30th it is on to Paris for two whole weeks. I can't wait.

2 comments:

JoBiv said...

You're amazing, Elizabeth. I can't believe you're finding time to blog while you're oot and aboot, but I feel lucky for it.

And I'm oh-so-glad I don't have to ride in your car over there...

Eunice Burns said...

Love the updates -- keep 'em coming! I'm pretending I'm in Europe with you, eating a baguette and cheese and drinking wine and never getting into anyone's car ever again.