Thursday, February 24, 2005

Remembering

Tonight I'm not watching TV, and it feels really good actually. I know that I have an addiction to television but still, I've already given up cigarettes...

Anyway, on Tuesday I spent the entire day correcting papers and attending lecture. I saw Nora for about an hour in the morning and then got home just as she was getting ready for her bath. I realized how much of her day I'd missed, all the little things we do together and I realized what it is like for working moms. I'm beginning to realize that joy in life isn't found in triumphant moments, but in the small daily details—at least for me. I love our little routinr. She is learning so much from me, not the education kind of stuff, but the life stuff: how I move, what I say...all that annoying stuff that makes us realize at one point or another that we have become our mother. I can't imagine it any other way.

You know the cliche about children seeing the world for the first time. I can't believe I'm saying this but Yeah, Nora's day is all about exploring this amazing place. And because I want to show her fun, interesting stuff, I do. We went to the Zoo today. We saw otters, flamingos, turtles, birds, elephants, giraffes, and kee-kee's (lions). She points to everything and just seems to drink it all in. We miss our kitty so much that we go to the animal shelter and look at the kitties. I don't want her to lose her amazing petting ability that Audrey worked so hard for with her.

2 comments:

JoBiv said...

I got addicted to Project Runway and thought, "if only I had that thinger that Elizabeth has, I could be a true junkie." And also, I always thought of you when I watched it because you would have friggin loved it.

Anyway, I should tell you, in case you don't know, that I love reading your writing here. You're amazing, jLiz.

Ali said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.