Monday, June 19, 2006

Still feel the same, but now we are plotting

Okay, I'm over feeling desperate at our situation. It is time for a plan and if there's one thing I'm good at it's planning.

The facts:
We cannot afford to live in Santa Barbara if we don't live in our current house.
We can barely afford to live in Santa Barbara if we continue to live where we do.
Living where we are, we are not building any equity and cannot save a dime.
Nora is only getting more and more expensive (daycare, pre-schools, etc.).
I feel powerless over my situation and that is never a good feeling.
There don't seem to be many job opportunities for me and even Alec's job has it's limitations.

The solution:
Move. Somewhere cheaper and more family-friendly (by that I mean we can afford to have a family).
Where?
I love California but I wouldn't want to live here if we can live near the ocean.
Cold winters are no longer an option.
Somewhere bigger, with more job options (and colleges).

We are going to Portland, OR in the next month to scope it out...


SPOILER!

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

I'm pregnant.

5 comments:

meeralee said...

1) Yay for being smart and planning and making a move -- I know good things will happen for you. YAY!

2) WHEEEEEEE!!!!!

kaitable. said...

congratulations! i hadn't checked your blog in a while, and that is just fabulous news!
(oh, and p.s.--did i not tell you last summer that you'd love veronica mars?)

Sarah said...

WOW! Congrats!

And I hope you find good things in Portland -- let me know if you have questions.

kshingbo said...

That's exciting news! Congrats! Sounds like you have quite a bit on your mind. I know things will work out for you, thanks to your grace and your clever character.

You must be at least a little excited about decorating a new place...

Hope to see you in October!

kshingbo said...

That's exciting news! Congrats! Sounds like you have quite a bit on your mind. I know things will work out for you, thanks to your grace and your clever character.

You must be at least a little excited about decorating a new place...

Hello to Alec and Nora!

Hope to see you in October!