Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Me and Nora on the Road

Alec went on a well-deserved fishing trip this last weekend and rather than sit at home and think about how much extra work it is when there is only one parent. I took Nora on a road trip up to my sister's place in Big Sur. My motivation was partly due to the guilt I felt about going up there for the day with Alison and not telling anyone. But mostly I wanted help with Nora and as I've said before an 11 and 13 year old are the BEST companions for a two-year old. We had a pretty full weekend.

I took the day off on Friday, so we left at 11:00. It's about a four hour drive and she fell aspleep at about 12:00. She woke up not far from Big Sur at about 2:45 so it was a pretty easy drive, aside from the fact that I had to pee for about an hour and that I was starving but there was no way I was stopping while she was sleeping. Once we got to town, I called my friend Lori at Sierra Mar and although she was working I was told whe was out running errands, turns out I ran into her at the deli/post office. We met here about an hour later for a drink and some chips at the bar. It was so nice to catch up with her. Then I made plans to meet my friend Pam later that night. Then we headed over to my sister's and Nora enthusiastically played with her cousins while Steph and I made pizzas. Later, I went to Pam's and caught up with her while Nora was asleep.

On Saturday, we went for a nice walk at the park where my sister lives (Andrew Molera State Park) and saw the horses (please don't let Nora want a horse, please). Then we headed back for a nap (both Nora and I) and in the afternoon we again visited Pam and then met my nieces and brother in law at the Pool. Very fun. Except I had allergies all day and they got progressively worse as the day wore on. By 8 o'clock that evening I was absolutely ruined. The night was not much better. In the moring we had a late breakfast followed by a noon departure.

The drive back was great. Nora immediately took a nap and woke up about 2 and a half hours later when we stopped for lunch/dinner in San Luis Obispo. The last hour and a half were spent watching a pooh movie and singing songs till we arrived in the driveway at 5:30pm. On the whole a successful road trip.

Alec's trip was far better than ours, I assume. Mostly because he was without child. He says he missed us, which is sweet, but c'mon four days without your wife and two-year old daughter, that sounds like heaven itself. Add to that the fact that he was fishing and camping with all his good friends and I'm surprised he came home. He thanked me for letting him go and I naturally responded, "You deserved it and in another two and a half years you can go again."

No comments: