Sunday, June 26, 2005

past the point of wanting to return

I've offically lost it.

It happened today at approximately 6:17.
In the stifling heat
of our incredibly cramped
dirty
noisy
hostel room.

I'm not sure what exactly pushed me over the edge.

It might have been
the four flights of stairs
carrying the stroller
in 100 degree opressive heat
but
I think what finally did it was
having to step over laundry somewhere between the third and fourth floor
stepping into a room faintly reeking of baby shit.

I sat against the wall and started to cry
feeling very
unglobtrottery

A cold shower helped
barely

Now I am just hoping against hope that tomorrow will be better
Fuck
It can't get worse
right?

1 comment:

Eunice Burns said...

It can't get worse and it will get better.

I thought of you last night and wished I could have called you. Mike and I were watching America's Funniest, and I was CRYING because there was a Santa Claus on a scooter in a room full of children and he apparently didn't know how to drive the dang thing and he went crashing into a table in front of everyone. We don't know (a) why he was on such a dangerous machine in a small room with kids, (b) how the scooter fits with the Christmas story anyway, and (c) why he wasn't familiar with the brakes, but we laughed ourselves silly. Thank God for TiVo. I was in need of a good cry (good or bad), and we got to rewind and replay and rewind and replay to our hearts' content. Tears. Rolling. Down my cheeks.

I miss you. Really, today will be better, and tomorrow, too, and sometimes you just have to hit a low like that. It'll make you appreciate home more when you're back. You still have done an incredible adventurous thing, and you still have great stories, and it'll still be something you're talking about for years and years to come.

But America does miss you...